The Best Things to do in Union Square San Francisco
Whether you’re coming to the city for business or pleasure, visiting San Francisco in the fall can be delightful. Our Hotel, located in San Francisco’s popular Union Square neighborhood, is a great place to stay while you’re in town. We have a great guide to helping you enjoy all the best things to do in Union Square San Francisco, not to mention more great ways to enjoy the best of this city in the fall.
While you’re enjoying walking the beautiful streets of San Francisco, shopping ’til you drop in Union Square, or exploring this vibrant city by neighborhood, there’s no better place to stay than our Hotel in Union Square San Francisco. The Golden Gate Hotel has recently reopened under new ownership, and offers the perfect blend of retro decor, modern amenities, and comfortable accommodations.
Fall is a golden time of year with nature’s hues changing colors combined with cozier, crisp evenings, clear nights, and mild days. Whatever brings you to town, let us treat you to a memorable stay in San Francisco. Book your room at our Union Square San Francisco Hotel today!
The Best Things to do in Union Square San Francisco
Union Square is a beautiful, pedestrian-friendly plaza located in the heart of the city. There are many things to do in Union Square San Francisco, including shopping! Union Square is bordered by Geary, Powell, Post, and Stockton Streets and is a vibrant place to enjoy a few days in the city.
For many, Union Square is considered the bustling heart of the city and, much like the San Francisco Wharf, is regarded as a “must-see” for tourists. There’s a wide variety of things to do in Union Square San Francisco, of course, but it’s also a convenient place to be based for business travel. There are plenty of great restaurants, shopping, nightlife, and more to enjoy in the area.
Below, we’ve compiled a list of ten of our favorite things to do in Union Square, San Francisco.
- Shop ’til you drop! Nothing beats shopping when it comes to things to do in Union Square San Francisco. It’s a true shoppers’ paradise. This small part of San Francisco has one of the largest collections of department stores, upscale boutiques, and gift shops in the city. Don’t miss Maiden Lane, home to high-end retailers such as Chanel, Marc Jacobs, and Yves Saint Laurent.
- Walk your way up and down Market Street, which many have likened to Paris’ Champs Elysees. This grand street is filled with shops, but don’t miss the remarkable architecture you’ll see here, too.
- One of the best things to do in Union Square San Francisco is to attend a theatre performance! Union Square is San Francisco’s Curran Theatre, one of the most iconic theatres in the area.
- You won’t have to travel for a great meal, as there are plenty of great restaurants in Union Square. You can find a few of our favorite recommendations here.
- Before you head to the theatre, stop at one of the many great cocktail bars or lounges in the Union Square area – it has several of the city’s best! Consider taking a cocktail tour, which extensively involves Union Square!
- Art lovers, don’t miss this part of town! One of our favorite things to do in Union Square San Francisco is to explore the art galleries in this part of town. The creative vibe here is exceptional! The San Francisco Art Exchange is one of our favorites.
- Grab a great photo of San Francisco’s cable cars in action! The Powell and Market Street turnaround is the perfect opportunity for this.
- Visit the Dragon Gate at the intersection of Bush and Grant Avenues, the southern entrance to San Francisco’s Chinatown neighborhood.
- Visit The Color Factory, a fascinating and multi-sensory art experience and certainly one of the most exciting things to do in Union Square San Francisco.
- San Francisco has a lot of great architecture, but one of the best buildings worth seeing in Union Square is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building.
More Great Things to do in San Francisco This Fall
Union Square is such a small part of San Francisco – and though there are plenty of great things to do in Union Square, we’d be remiss not to mention some of the other exciting things awaiting you in San Francisco this fall! It truly is a magnificent time of year to visit. The weather is still mild, and the summer crowds have thinned out, leaving you more time to explore and enjoy.
- Ride the cable cars around town. Without the busy crowds of summer tourists, riding these historic cable cars and taking in the views around the city is a little more manageable and enjoyable.
- Enjoy Fleet Week in October, when the Blue Angels come to town. This year it will be held October 3 – 11.
- Fall is still a perfectly wonderful time to enjoy a frozen treat, and there’s nothing better than the seasonal flavors (think pumpkin) at Mitchell’s ice cream!
- The Christmas season isn’t the only time to enjoy dazzling light displays. This fall, enjoy the Autumn Lights Festival at the Gardens Lake Merritt.
- Want to enjoy some time at the beach this fall? You can do that in San Francisco, too! Head to the 40th Annual Leap Sandcastle Classic and watch the sand artists at work.
- Don’t miss the stunning beauty of the fall foliage at the Japanese Tea Garden.
- In late fall, the SF Open Studio will be back, which was the country’s first and largest open studio program.
- Attend one of the many food, drink, or art festivals in San Francisco this fall!
- It is the month of hauntings, so what better way to do that than with a night tour of Alcatraz?
- Explore San Francisco’s popular neighborhoods, like Chinatown, Nob Hill, Japantown, the Fisherman’s Wharf, and more.
Are you ready for your fantastic fall getaway? Book your room at our Union Square San Francisco Hotel today!